Category Archives: instruction
Pastor Dwight McKissic’s new blog post is an insightful look at the past and the present. Its a significant blueprint for the 21st century church that strives to remain true to the will of God as we navigate growing governmental acceptance of homosexuality and the specter of persecution that waits silently in the wings.
In it, the influential black Southern Baptist pastor of Cornerstone Church in Arlington, Texas asks “How Should Kingdom Citizens Relate to Gay and A New Gay-Friendly America?”
The righteous of our day have been seemingly transported back to the spirit and age that existed in ancient sodom where perversion and the disregard for life were the dominant vices that gripped the region’s residents. Most may not realize that Sodom was prosperous and influential by modern standards. It was one of the reasons Lot was attracted to the area. Besides its moral perversion, Ezekiel pointed out that one of the city’s fatal flaws that it had ‘excess of food and prosperous” (ESV) but had no concern for those suffering. (16:49)
Saints of today are increasing confronted by the challenges of a new sodom. Homosexuality is seen as a virtue to be celebrated and affirmed. Those who refuse to dance to the music are marginalized, demonized and subjected to punitive actions by the state. Clearly, things have changed wrote Pastor McKissic.
“The world that I was born into in 1956 did not officially and affirmatively recognize a “gay” person as a sociological category that merited celebration, congratulations, affirmation, special rights in addition to civil rights, minority status, entitlements, or any of the like. Heretofore, identity and recognition as a human being, American citizen, male or female, a member of a people group, religious affiliation, or your Daddy’s name, was sufficient. Within the past decade, the U.S. military, pulpits, POTUS, SCOTUS, Halls of Congress, popular votes in certain states, the public school systems, and the NFL, have all upheld policies and affirmed same-sex relationships and homosexuality. We are all having to accept the fact that in the New America, there is a new demographic called “Gay American,” that are recognized as a legitimate, official, respected people group by all major American Institutions—including many church leaders and some (mainly liberal) denominations. The social acceptance of homosexuality has occurred in America primarily within the past ten years—from the fall of Gov. McGreevey to the rise of Mr. Michael Sam.”
While some churches and religious individuals are selling out and endorsing homosexual behavior sight unseen, others are digging in and throwing more condemnation wood on the fire. Pastor McKissic writes that those two extremes do not reflect the truth of scripture.
So, how do Kingdom citizens relate to gay and a new gay-friendly America? What are saints to do now that we recognize that we live in Sodom? I’ll tell you what we must do. We must love the homosexual unconditionally, while we preach and practice grace, love, and truth uncompromisingly.
1. First, we must acknowledge that at least three Scriptures indicate, or suggest that homosexual relationships would be widely accepted and approved of before Christ returns.
2. Not only are saints to accept the fact that living in Sodom is an inevitable biblical reality or prophesy coming true, we must also be like the two witnesses in Revelation and speak the truth in love to all who ask about our faith, or our belief in the Judeo-Christian concept of marriage between one man and one woman.
3. Finally, the best offense is a good defense. Seattle just proved that in the Super Bowl. Therefore, the remnant faith community needs to strengthen the bonds of our marriages.
Part prophetic and part introspective correction, the solution is one that wise saints will embrace, share and practice in these coming days. The only thing I would add to Pastor McKissic’s counsel is be prepared to exit Sodom quickly when our call comes.
Read the entire When Saints live in Sodom
We hear from fools all the time on this blog. I generally reject their attempts to have a voice here because the words of a fool are like airborne infections. They protest charging “censorship”, “discrimination” and the likes but The Bible warns us not to answer a fool according to his folly. In other words, you can’t reason with a person infected with a foolish mind. In case you don’t know how to recognize a fool, Dr. Matthew Stevenson, pastor in Chicago penned a handy guide on how to recognize one, biblical style. And a fool should be properly labeled.
1. A Fool is anyone who despises wisdom, instruction or correction from a Mentor or Teacher. Proverbs 1:7 ” The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge,but fools despise wisdom and instruction.
2. A Fool is anyone that uses slander through lying and misrepresentation. Proverbs 10:18 ” He that uttereth slander is a FOOL”
3. A Fool is anyone who refuses to depart from evil, even when corrected. Proverbs 13:19 “But is is an abomination to Fools, to depart from evil. ”
4. A Fool is anyone who does not take the dangers of Sin seriously. Proverbs 14:9 ” Fools mock at sin; but among the righteous there is favor”
5. A Fool is anyone who does not use discretion, with matters that should be private. Proverbs 14:33 ” Wisdom rests in the heart of him that has understanding, but that which is in the midst of a Fool, will be made known. ”
6. A Fool is anyone that disregards the wisdom of a Godly father. Proverbs 15: 5 ” A FOOL despises a Fathers instruction, but he that regards reproof is prudent”
7.A Fool is anyone whose conduct does not change even after experiencing painful consequences from it. Proverbs 17:10 ” A reproof entereth more into a wise man, that a hundred stripes on a Fool”
8.A Fool is anyone who considers pursuing wisdom as a waste of time. Proverbs 17:16 ” Wherefore is there a price in the hand of a fool to get wisdom, seeing that he hath no heart for it? Proverbs 17:16
9.A Fool is anyone who calls Himself mad at God Proverbs 19:3 ” The Foolish, perverts His way, and His heart fretteth against the Lord”
10. A Fool is someone who is always involved in strife. Proverbs 20:3 It is an honour for a man to cease from strife, but every fool will be involved in meddling.”
11. A Fool is someone who has no understanding of sowing and reaping. 1 Cor 15:36
12. A fool is any man who spends more money that he is able to earn for his family. Proverbs 21:20 ” There is treasure to be desired and oil in the dwelling of the wise, but a foolish man spendeth it up!”
13. A Fool is anyone who creates his own belief system contrary to the word of God. Proverbs 28:26 ” He that trusts his own heart IS A FOOL, but whoever walks wisely will be delivered.
14. A Fool is anyone who refuses to pay His debts! Ecclesiastes 5: 4-5 ” When thou vowest a vow unto God, defer not to pay it, for hath no pleasure in FOOLS. “
15. A Fool is anyone who makes Money, Riches or Money making his god. Luke 12: 20-21 ” But God said unto Him, THOU FOOL, this night thy soul shall be required of thee, then whose things be which thou hast provided? So that he that layeth up treasures for himself is not rich towards God”
16.A Fools lips is ALWAYS at the center of division, strife and contention. Proverbs 18:6-7 ” A fools lips enter into contention, and his mouth calls for strokes. A fools mouth is his destruction, and his lips are the snare of his soul.”
17. A FRIEND of fools, will be destroyed. Proverbs 13:20 ” He that walketh with wise men shall be wise, but the companion of FOOLS shall be destroyed”
18. LIARS are fools. Proverbs 10:8 ” He that hideth hatred with lying lips….is a fool.
19. Foolishness and Fool like behavior will reveal the spiritual and mental age of a person. It must be BEAT out of Him. Proverbs 22:15 ” Foolishness is in the heart of a Child, but a ROD of correction, drives it fare from him!”
20. A Fool cant be changed through counsel. Proverbs 23:9 ” Speak not in the ears of a fool, He will despise the words of they wisdom”
21. A Fool should NEVER be in any form of leadership. Proverbs 24:7 ” Wisdom is TOO high for a fool, he openeth not his mouth at the gate”
22. A fool is destructive to all that trust Him. Proverbs 26:6 ” He that sendeth a message by the hand of a fool, cutteth off his feet and drinks damage”
23. A fool wont change, irrespective of him saying wise things. Proverbs 26:7 ” The legs of the lame are not equal, so are parables in the mouth of a fool”
24. A fool who gets honor is deadly to those around him. Proverbs 26:8 ” He that bindeth a stone to a sling, is the same that giveth honour to a fool”
25. A fool is someone who makes the same mistakes repeatedly Proverbs 26:11 ” as a dog returns to his vomit, so is a fool, that returns to his folly”
26. Meeting a BEAR is safer than encountering a Fool. Proverbs 17:12 ” Let a bear robbed of her children, meet a man rather that a fool in his folly.”
27. There is no PEACE in relationship with a Fool. Proverbs 29:9 ” If a wise man contends with a foolish man, whether he laughs or is in rage, there is no rest!:
28. An atheist is a fool. Psalms 14:1 ” The FOOL hath said in his heart there is no God.
29. Conversations with Fools, may turn you into one. Proverbs 26:4 ” Answer not a fool in his folly, lest you be like unto him.”
30. A Fool TALKS TOO MUCH! Ecclesiastes 5: 3″ A Fools voice is known by the multitude of His words”
Widespread sexual immorality (heterosexual and homosexual) is an invitation for God to unleash his divine judgment upon the children of men. In a day and age where religious folks use grace as an excuse to wink at sexual sin and nonreligious folk use logical fallacies to justify it, it still merits warning that God is no pushover.
First some contextual history, Paul writes to the Corinthians evoking examples of Isreal’s tragic history with God. Interesting that he cites this to the Corinthians. Perhaps because idolatry and sexual immorality was so rife in culture and had gushed into the church as well.
For I do not want you to be unaware, brothers, that our fathers were all under the cloud, and all passed through the sea, and all were baptized into Moses in the cloud and in the sea, and all ate the same spiritual food, and all drank the same spiritual drink. For they drank from the spiritual Rock that followed them, and the Rock was Christ. Nevertheless, with most of them God was not pleased, for they were overthrown in the wilderness.
Now these things took place as examples for us, that we might not desire evil as they did. Do not be idolaters as some of them were; as it is written, “The people sat down to eat and drink and rose up to play.” We must not indulge in sexual immorality as some of them did, and twenty-three thousand fell in a single day. We must not put Christto the test, as some of them did and were destroyed by serpents, nor grumble, as some of them did and were destroyed by the Destroyer. Now these things happened to them as an example, but they were written down for our instruction, on whom the end of the ages has come. 1 Cor 10:1-11
Two points that shouldnt escape notice:
1. These things happened as an example to us to avoid so that we also avoid the judgment of God.
2. These things (recorded in the Old Testament) are written for our instruction.
What are some of those things that were written down for our instruction?
In Genesis 19, God utterly destroyed the immoral cities of the plains. He sent burning sulfur from the heavens like rain until everything living was burned to the ground. Archealogists have estimated the population of Sodom and Gomorrah between 600-1200 people.
In Numbers 25, God sent a plague of fatal sexual diseases among Isreal after they rejected his commandment not to have sexual relationships with the women of Moab. 24,000 men died before God halted the plague on behalf of a brave man who took action to stop the sexual sins.
In Judges 19 and 20 we discover that homosexuals in the tribe of Benjamin commit a rape, a civil war erupts when Benjamin refuses to repent or turn over the offenders for punishment. It plunges Isreal into a blood bath. On God’s instructions to the other 11 tribes, men of Benjamin are nearly annihilated. Out of 25,000 only 1,000 remain to repopulate the tribe.
In 1 Kings 14 and 15, Jeroboam known as one of Isreal’s most wicked kings, set in motion events which led to the destruction of the Northern kingdom. He was a “socially tolerant” ruler who allowed sexual perversion to be celebrated through idolatrous practices.
Sexual immorality is a destructive disease to any society. Our own country is proof of that. More people have been killed over sexual issues that religion ever has. Millions of children slaughtered through abortion. Sexual diseases end millions of lives prematurely. Governments spend billions attempting to fix a problem that could be resolved with self control. But the wicked refuse to control themselves and they pass laws giving more “freedom” to those addicted to perversion. And the cycle continues and in the process everything and every person loses value. You may call God’s actions barbaric, but he acted to stop what would have been our own self destruction.
We are back at square one. Seems like people will not learn from the past so they are doomed to repeat it and suffer the consequences of it.
David Kyle Foster dismantles the ludicrous logic of gay activists who use seriously flawed logic to deny healing from homosexuality and the believer’s obligation to RESIST all temptation. Resisting temptation, no matter what it is, is an act of submissive obedience to the will of God. Watch, listen and be empowered.
It very obvious that Pastor Joel Osteen can make millions of dollars selling his feel good motivational books, and his ability to fill up an arena on Wednesday nights and Sunday morning with his church members. However, when it comes to his theological soundness and standing on sound doctrine he is seriously lacking. Back at it again with his inability to stand on sound doctrine, Osteen said that Mormons are Christians in his response about Republican Presidential Candidate Mitt Romney a Mormon not being a Christian. He stated Romney is his Christian brother. I hate to tell you Joel, but Mormons are no closer to being Christians than let’s say a Satanist, Wicca, Shaman, Buddhist, and Hindu. We”re seeing a growing trend of ecumenical dance with prominent Christian personalities such as Osteen’s statements that Mormons are Christians, and Christian television networks such as TBN and Daystar broadcasting Glenn Beck (Mormon) as he endorses Mormonism as just another branch of Christianity. Let’s examine the truth and facts from a biblical perspective that Mormonism isn’t Christianity, and never will be. At gcmwatch we followed Pastor Osteen lack of standing on sound doctrinal issues in the past of years(here, here, here).
Mormonism Occult Origins
The Mormon Church was founded by Joseph Smith who was a 33rd degree freemason. He was heavily involved in the occult arts such as astrology, ritual magic, crystal gazing, seer stones, and divining rods (source).Smith was also into spiritualism in which a person is in contact with the dead and with other spirit entities to obtain information or knowledge through the occult.
Joseph Smith claims that an angel Moroni gave him the revelation for the Book of Mormon, the Doctrine of Covenants, and The Pearl of Great Price. Supposedly Moroni’s father, Mormon, a Nephite historian-prophet,wrote the history of the Jews/Nephites who came from Jerusalem to ancient America in 600 B.C.-385 A.D. Moroni added his words to the book then hid it. Supposedly in these gold plates, it is written that Jesus appeared in America and spent time with the Nephites after his resurrection. Shortly afterwards, the Nephite people were wiped out in a war against the Lamanites (principal ancestors of the Native Americans). After his death, Moroni was resurrected as an angel. In September 21, 1823 Moroni appeared to Joseph Smith in New York ,gave him gold plates, and instructed him to translate the gold plates into English. This is the origin of the Book of Mormon.
Ironically the name Mormo is is listed in Anton LaVey’s Satanic Bible in the listing page of “Infernal Names.” It states that Mormo is the god of the ghouls, and his followers would be Mormons (source 1/ source).
Mormonism Has Elements of Gnosticism
“The devil told the truth… I do not blame Mother Eve. I would not have had her miss eating the forbidden fruit for anything in the world… They must pass through the same ordeals as the Gods, that they may know good from evil… Through the gift of sin, humanity can achieve godhood (source ; source).”
This is completely contray to what John 8:44 says: “Ye are of your father the devil, and the lusts of your father ye will do. He was a murderer from the beginning, and abode not in the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he speaketh a lie, he speaketh of his own: for he is a liar, and the father of it.” It calls the devil the father of lies and a murderer. This is because his intent in the Garden of Eden was to spiritually murder both Adam and Eve by getting them to eat from the Tree of Knowledge of Good and Evil. Adam and Eve died spiritually and that death did not result in them becoming gods as the Devil told them in Genesis 3:5. It was a lie. Brigham Young’s statements and writings regarding the fall of man and the serpent in garden helping Adam and Eve to realize they’re gods mirrors gnosticism. It sees the serpent/Satan as the good guy helping mankind realize the god within themselves (source).
What Mormons Believe
Mormons believe in millions of gods. Mormons long to become a a god. They don’t long to spend eternity with Jesus Christ (source).
Biblical response: Isaiah 45:5-12. G-d said their is no other god, but Him.
They teach that man is a god in embryo, and may attain exaltation to godhood as the heavenly father has(source).
Biblical response: Psalm 51:5. Were born as sinners, not gods.
They believe in an eternal mother who engages in sex with the heavenly father to create human spirits. She is the wife of God (source).
Biblical response: Ezekieal 18:4. G-d is the Creator of all things, all the souls belong to Him.
Mormons believe Jesus was a polygamist who was married to Mary and Martha at the same time. They also believe that God the Father is polygamist (source).
Biblical response: The Bible never states that Jesus was married to Mary and Martha. This is a gnostic doctrine. G-d the Father creates. He does not procreate.
Mormons don’t believe in virgin birth of Jesus Christ. They believe Mary had sex with God the Father. They believed Mary was married both to God and Joseph (source).
They believe God was once a man of flesh and bones and that someday we can become a god over our own universe (source).
Biblical response: John 4:24. G-d is spirit, we must worship Him in spirit and in truth.
Mormons believe that some sins are so bad that the blood of Jesus can’t atone for sins. Instead, a person must shed their own blood for atonement (source).
Biblical response: Matthew 26:28. Only Jesus’ blood was shed for remission of all sins and it marks a new covenant.
Baptism of the dead is another doctrine in Mormonism. A Mormon can be baptized in place of their dead ancestors or friends so that these dead friends or family members can become Mormons (source).
Biblical response: Hebrews 9:27. Man is appointed once to die, then the judgment. The Bible doesn’t speak about karma or purgatory.
Study to Show Yourself Approved
The Christian Church of America has to beware of entering into ecumenical movement towards a one world church. If a religious institution does not line up with the overall authority of ”The Word of God,” then flee. Don’t allow yourself to be seduced by evil spirits into false doctrine. And please, don’t make covenants with Mormons.
Concise and excellent teaching from Grace in Focus writer/teacher Bob Wilkins. Bob lays out five ways the church (and its leadership) can significantly reduce sexual immorality in the body of Christ. Read and discuss.
First, let’s not deny that it is a very significant problem. Recognizing the problem is a key step in dealing with it.
Second, let’s avoid changing the gospel message as a solution. Lordship salvation has a deep concern that believers live holy lives. I share that concern. However, the solution which Lordship salvation offers, adding works to the gospel, is one I cannot adopt. Salvation is a free gift. It is received by faith alone, not by faith plus works.
To tell a person that he or she must stop living with their lover in order to be saved from hell is to contradict the idea of a free gift. If I must give up something (other than self-righteousness and unbelief)–or even be willing to do so–then salvation costs me something. Lordship salvation advocates do not deny this. Dr. James Boice, for example, in his book Christ’s Call to Discipleship (Chicago: Moody, 1987) in a chapter entitled, “Counting the Cost,” asks the question, “What must I pay to be a Christian?” (p. 112). Notice that he is speaking of what we must PAY. We do not pay for gifts. Boice then answers his own question, in part, by noting, “I must pay the price of those sins I now cherish. I must give them up, every one. I cannot cling to a single sin . . .” (pp. 112-13).
Third, let’s avoid changing the basis of assurance. Some pastors preach and counsel that believers engaged in ongoing sexual sin are probably not “true believers” and hence are probably not saved. Sadly this encourages believers to look at their works instead of the Word for assurance. It turns their eyes off of the Savior and onto themselves. The cross goes out of focus. Grace becomes forgotten.1 Such teaching can lead believers to despair, depression, and such an overwhelming sense of frustration that some give up completely their efforts to live for God.
Fourth, it is vitally important in terms of discipleship that we maintain lives of sexual purity ourselves. All of us are capable of adultery, premarital sex, homosexuality, addiction to pornography, etc. To avoid these calamities we need accountability in our families and churches, high standards carefully maintained, and a track record of obedience over time. If we who proclaim his grace and the freeness of the gospel fall into sexual sin, many will point their fingers and say that it was the doctrine which produced the immoral conduct. Sexual sin can destroy lives, ministries, and reputations.
Fifth, in our preaching, teaching, and interacting with other believers, let’s be clear that sexual immorality is a big problem, one which can easily trip us up, and one which has terrible consequences. Rather than occasionally making a reference to adultery, pornography, homosexuality, or premarital sex when we preach or teach, it seems to me that we should address these problems frequently.
If done tactfully, I think that sharing some of the illustrations which Alcorn and other Christian authors provide may have a very beneficial effect. When talking about sexual sin we can discuss the chastising ministry of God, the Judgment Seat of Christ, the ridicule such actions bring to the cause of Christ, and how the powerful motivation of gratitude can transform the lives of those touched by His grace.
We can counter the claim that we give people a license to sin by living godly lives ourselves and by repeatedly calling others to do so. May the grace of God spur us on to live exemplary lives. While the rampant immorality of our day is a terrible thing, it does provide us with even more of an opportunity to stand apart and to let our lights shine before men so that they might see our good works and glorify our Father who is in heaven.